Saturday, August 31, 2013

In the Presence of a Noble

Proper 17, Year C
 
Jeremiah 2:4-13               or         Sirach 10:12-18 and Proverbs 25:6-7
Psalm 81:1,10-16            or         Psalm 112
Hebrews 13:1-8, 15-16                                      
Luke 14:1, 7-14
 

In Luke 14 Jesus elaborated on Proverbs 25:6-7, which reads, "Do not put yourself forward in the king's presence or stand in the place of the great; for it is better to be told, 'Come up here,' than to be put lower in the presence of a noble."  For Jesus warned, "All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."
 
Normally, I think I'm not in danger of this, since I would rarely, if ever, be in the presence of a king, or a noble (although I have frequented Barnes and Noble on occasion).
 
But how about all the strangers in a store or on the street – the ones not dressed in royal purple, but rather in attire that would not be noticed?  They are not buying anything in particular that would suggest a higher status in society; not saying anything that would demonstrate an advanced education or worldly throne; not followed by an entourage to serve their slightest whim.
 
And yet, might they not have endured some hardship far greater than what I could have ever survived?  How do I know that they have not felt the kiss of God because they can more deeply see the heavenly craftsmanship in the blended colors of a flower petal?  How do I know that they may have cradled the head and held the hand of a dying loved one, as they heard the last breath passing from a life?  What troubles have they endured with great patience and resiliency that I will never see? 

What losses have they suffered that I may never have to experience?  With what loneliness have they been burdened that has remained absent in my life?
 
Are these people not the true kings and nobles of this world?  And who wouldn't be included in this royal cadre?
 
If they all are kings and nobles in God's eyes, then they all deserve the reverence and respect in each and every moment I encounter them; regardless of how they might have treated me, regardless of how they look, regardless of who they think they are, or regardless of who they really are.
 
Today you will walk among kings and nobles.  Where will you seat yourself?

No comments: