Sunday, July 19, 2009

Another Lesson from the Garden

Greetings, Sisters, Brothers and friends of the Community!

I pray that this note finds you all well!

It has been said that one is nearest to God in a Garden. I guess this goes all the way back to Eden perhaps?

I happened to notice my shadow one afternoon as I roamed through the garden looking for the next vegetable side dish. There, in my straw farmer’s hat, I saw my shadow get twisted out of shape as it wrapped around the edge of a raised bed and get stretched along a walk, yielding to the shape of every weed and pebble.

It reminded me (I’m not sure why) of the impact I sometimes have on other people. My true image, when totally fueled by the Light of The Son, travels from me to its ultimate destination, carrying with it the fullest intent of love in its travels through time and space. Shaped by the Light, it leaves me in a specific form and manner, perfectly reflecting who I am.

But shadows (the impressions we leave on other people and things) are shaped by what they land on, not from where they come. Perhaps this is why we are sometimes misunderstood by others. It is not what we project to them, but the manner and shape that it is received. If the surface of the recipient is rough, what I have tried to do for them may also be viewed roughly. If their surface is slanted, perhaps I will also be seen as slanted.

We can only do our best in this world by being what we were meant to be. We can’t always worry about where our shadow falls, or what it will look like when it gets there. Just continue working God’s love and let the Holy Spirit smoothen out the surface. Just keep going, and do what you were made to do. That is your purpose for Him.

By the way, we had the broccoli!

Br. Daniel-Joseph

No comments: