Sunday, March 8, 2009

Love's Pursuit

Greetings, Sisters, Brothers and Friends of the Community!

What’s a good activity when you are getting 6-9” more of snow? Reading.
While exploring a book on Simone Weil, I came across this poem by George Herbert. It is about the relentless pursuit of God’s love and compassion of a person judging themselves unworthy of this Love. I thought it was worth sharing and spending some time reflecting on it:


Love bade me welcome, yet my soul drew back,
Guilty of envy and sin.
But quick-eyed Love, observing me grow slack
From my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning,
“Do you lack anything?”

“A guest,” I answered, “worthy to be here.”
Love said, “You shall be he.”
“I the unkind, ungrateful? Ah my dear,
I cannot look on thee.”
Love took my hand, and smiling did reply,
“Who made the eyes but I?’

“Truth, Lord, but I have marred them: let my shame
Go where it does deserve.”
“And know you not,” says Love, “Who bore the blame?”“My dear, then I will serve.”
“You must sit down,” says Love, “and taste my meat.”
So I did sit and eat.

Nothing, says St. Paul, can separate us from the love of God. Remember this!

Blessings to you all,

Br. Daniel-Joseph, CTG

No comments: